Thursday 11 January 2018

HABIT

New year, new me?

Well, guess what? I change every single day. I am not even I was two seconds ago. I am continuously changing, and I don't have to wait until new year to change, whether for the better or for worse. We can choose to change to be better this very second, or the worse. It depends on how we perceive ourselves as time goes by.

This year (and like some years that have passed), I make no resolutions. I tried several times, but my procrastinator self always won over. Until, I saw an Instagram post of my past employer, Cindy Owada, (the link goes to the post I'm talking about) which has opened my eyes about the importance of habit, and inspired me to change the way I see things correlating with habits. I seem to realize this a bit too late, but habits really play a bigger role in determining one’s success, and in most of the cases, the success of checking the resolutions off of the list we make every year.

That is why I tried to change the rituals. This time, I try to collect good habits and throw away the bad habits. I read more. I write more. I schedule everything out (which is still hard for me, but at least I could manage) and jot down everything that I have done for the day so that I could see later on what actually happened on a particular date. I create a list of things I have to finish monthly. I also write the highlight of today, like the collection of both fortunate and unfortunate events that happened, and try to learn something out of it. 

You want to lose weight? Eat healthy and work out regularly. Once these become your habits, you win not only the game, but life as well. You no longer need to have “lost XX pounds/kgs” written in your annual resolutions ever because the said habits would prevent unwanted fats or diseases from happening.

You want to travel and go to places you’ve never been to? Save up. No matter how small the numbers, save up. There is an Indonesian saying about saving up that goes more or less like this, “Sedikit demi sedikit, lama-lama menjadi bukit (A penny saved is a penny earned).” You don’t have to start big, you just need to start. Take the first step, and it’d lead you to the other ten thousand steps. It might be challenging at first, but it always pays off. Better than that, it could pay the travelling’s fare.

You want to live happier? Live simpler. Leave all unnecessary things or people that bring all the unnecessary drama or stress or pain to your plate. You don’t need them. Start sorting out your priorities. If you don’t know how to sort it out, try my friend’s advice, “jot down everything that makes you stress-free, the things you actually have been taking for granted but always been there to support you all this time, and do it (if they are activities) or talk to it (if they are humans).” In my case, music is one of them. Why? Because aside from talking to my living diaries (re: bestfriends), music has also been my remedy when I’m sick of life’s sh*ts. And no, I am not exaggerating. Music does help me relax my own mind when it goes ballistic on me.


Finally, as Dennis P. Kimbro said about habits;
I am your constant companion. I am your greatest helper or heavier burden. I will push you onward, or drag you down to failure. I am completely at your command. Half of the things you do, you might just as well turn over to me, and I will be able to do them quickly and correctly. I am easily managed – you must merely be firm with me. Show me exactly you want something to be done and after a few lessons, I will do it automatically. I am the servant of all great men; and alas, of all failures, as well. Those who are failures, I have made failures. Those who are great, I have made great. I am not a machine, though I work with all the precision of a machine, plus the intelligence of a man. You may run me for profit, or run me for ruin-it makes no difference to me. Take me, train me, be firm with me, and I will place the world at your feet. Be easy with me and I will destroy you. Who am I? I am a habit.

Thrifted stripes T-shirt, Levi's jeans, Acer Leap wristwatch.

Until next time,




Hippie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I read every single comment and very much appreciate it. :)